Today is Emily’s 28th birthday! To celebrate the occasion, we would like to share some lesser-known facts about our dear Emily. We love her for many reasons and there are so many things that make her unique, so we figured we could let you in on some of her secrets. Without further ado, please enjoy the list below and join us in wishing Emily the happiest of birthdays as she rings in 28!
1. As a little kid, Emily had 3 imaginary friends. Their names were Louie, Nookie and Ocky. Ocky was her favorite. (Don’t tell Louie and Nookie)
2. She was an only child for 6 years and hated every second of it.
3. Good thing because she ended up as the oldest of 4!
4. She refused to go to preschool without dressing up as Pippi Longstocking. That included freckles painted on her face and pipe cleaners to make her braids stick out straight. (Next year’s Halloween costume?!)
5. Emily was first chair flutist in her high school’s district-wide orchestra.
6. Growing up, she had an obsession with whales, specifically humpback whales. She adopted 2 and even had a whale mural drawn on her bedroom wall.
7. Her first job was as a coffee barista at Bucks County Coffee Company. (This girl KNOWS her coffee)
8. Emily’s favorite food is lobster and it’s her chosen birthday meal every single year.
9. She is slightly ashamed to admit that she was rush chair of her sorority.
10. Emily’s comfort food is peanut butter on raisin toast. (YUM)
11. She is a strong believer in not repeating meals at restaurants, especially on vacation (except when you find a REAL winner — here’s looking at you, Mediterranean Deli & Catering in Chapel Hill!)
12. Emily secretly (until now!) watches the View. Every day. And has been for the past 10+ years. Thank you, DVR!
13. She drinks hot drinks with a straw.
14. Called “Emily” by few, she goes by a record number of nicknames, such as Ea, Kage, EKG, Em and Emmie.
15. She is the only person in the history of the world to break her arm by… sitting on a trampoline.
16. Her favorite movie is Dirty Dancing. She looked up to Penny.
17. Emily is a recovering gummy candy addict (recovery forced by diagnosis with Cystic Fibrosis-related diabetes). She is clean for 2 years and counting (but she still gets the cravings).
18. New (healthier) drug of choice: dried fruit.
19. For someone with advanced lung disease, she is a shockingly fast walker!
20. She wears a size 4.5 shoe.
21. Every clock in her apartment shows a different time. The only thing they have in common is that they all show the wrong time.
22. She is a BIG tennis fan. Favorite players are Rafael Nadal and Coby Kramer-Golinkoff.
23. Emily spent most of her childhood wanting to be an FBI agent or talk show hostess.
24. She is a Quaker through-and-through as a proud University of Pennsylvania alumni, graduate student, former staffer, current employee and patient!
25. Emily is the only person on earth who misses her old blackberry. (iPhone who? BBM anyone?)
26. She is proud to be unfazed by bugs. (Her sisters and roommates are forever grateful)
27. BUT, she does have an extremely severe phobia of one scary animal.
28. In fact, it is so severe that she refuses to reveal it on here.
Can you relate to one of the items on the list? Let us know in the comments section below!