Emily’s Entourage is looking for a full-time, full service special events professional to lead the planning, development, production and evaluation of major fundraising events for the organization and ensure that goals are met within required timeframes and established budgets. The Special Events Manager will work in collaboration with Emily’s Entourage Co-Founders, staff, and volunteers to ensure high quality, successful events that support the organization’s strategic initiatives.
Emily’s Entourage is an innovative 501(c)3 that fast tracks research for new treatments and a cure for rare nonsense mutations of Cystic Fibrosis. Founded by Emily Kramer-Golinkoff, her family and friends, Emily’s Entourage is fueled by powerful communities, small and large, in person and virtual, that have rallied together, raising over $4 million since 2011 to drive high impact research and groundbreaking collaboration.
While the urgency of the foundation is inspired by Emily’s advanced stage disease, the work of Emily’s Entourage gives impetus to advances that can benefit not only patients with Cystic Fibrosis, but approximately 12% of all patients with genetic diseases that are similarly caused by nonsense mutations, amounting to roughly 30 million people worldwide.
Named a White House “Champion of Change” for Precision Medicine, Emily’s Entourage has been featured on CNN.com, Time.com, People.com, AOL.com, CBS’s The Doctors, Yahoo Health and many other national and local media outlets for its disruptive approach to accelerating breakthroughs and Emily’s inspiring story.
- Plan, manage and execute 2-3 major donor events per year, including Foundation’s signature Evening with Emily’s Entourage Gala with 500 guests and raising $614K, in conjunction with roughly 3-5 smaller networking/donor events throughout the year.
- Develop, manage and achieve fundraising goals, budget and timeline for each event, including controlling expenditures to approved budget.
- Oversee planning committees for special events.
- Works with Development Database Administrator to maintain a comprehensive donor/sponsor database.
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized, motivated and able to multi-task while managing several projects at one time
- Have a strong, established record of gala and event planning.
- Able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, meet deadlines, and be willing to work evenings and weekends, particularly leading up to major events.
- Work with initiative, competence, and have good judgment with an attitude of “leading with ‘yes’” and “whatever is necessary” to complete the job.
For the candidate with appropriate fundraising experience, substantial potential for professional growth with the development of the organization.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Planning Committee: Manage the volunteer event planning committee and subcommittees, including creating defined roles and responsibilities, overseeing follow up and task lists, and ensuring all tasks are completed by deadline and on budget.
- Volunteers: Work with the marketing and program coordinator to manage and oversee a staff of up to 50 volunteers depending on the event, including event planning committee and day of volunteers. Lead recruitment of volunteers and training.
- Vendors: Manage all vendors, including catering and venue, securing vendors (photographer/DJ/videographer etc.), overseeing rental/linen orders and decor, and creating and managing the venue floor plan. Ensure proper guidelines are followed.
- Programming: Oversee script creation and evening timeline, secure event emcee, create event slideshows, and securing and managing entertainment.
- Auction: Oversee implementation of online auction platform, manage auction launch, design auction signage and ensure all auction thank you letters are sent in a timely fashion. Manage collaboration with third party auction vendors, including CharityBuzz.
- Administration & Technology: Work with the database manager to manage invitation lists and databases necessary to secure accurate guests lists, create and oversee equipment needs, including wireless connectivity and wifi onsite, as well as mobile donation options.
- Budget: Oversee special events budget and all vendor payments
- Sponsorship: Create and manage corporate, community and individual sponsorship packets, including strategizing sponsor benefits and ensuring that they are met. Work with Marketing and Program Coordinator to update website accordingly.
- Registration: Work with Marketing and Program Coordinator and web team to develop ticket forms/ticket platform and oversee registration forms/process.
- Marketing & Communications: Oversee development and production of save the date/invitation package, including web, social media and graphic assets. Design of event signage needs. Work with the Marketing and Program Coordinator to develop electronic email blasts and manage event website pages as well as with the social media committee to develop and execute a social media strategy and plan to promote the events.
- Future Planning: Research, develop and implement new approaches to keep special events fresh and successful.
- 5+ years of professional experience in large-scale event planning with a proven track record of executing successful events, reaching goals and staying within budget. Nonprofit experience is favorable but not mandatory.
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Candidates should be meticulously organized and highly detail and deadline oriented
- Must be tech proficient and committed to quality and style
- Must be versatile, passionate and able to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Able to work non-traditional hours, including evenings and weekends as needed
Interested candidates should submit a one-page cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The cover letter should describe (a) previous relevant experience, and (b) why the position is right at this stage in his/her career.
Emily’s Entourage provides equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.