Emily’s Entourage is looking for an experienced, high-energy, and passionate individual to organize and oversee the daily operations of the organization and advance strategic initiatives as the full-time Director of Operations.
The Director of Operations leads the planning, implementation, and monitoring of day-to-day business activities to maximize the organization’s success, efficiency and growth.
Working in collaboration with the Emily’s Entourage co-founders, leadership team, and strategic advisors, the Director of Operations leads internal operations, including hiring, training, and ongoing management of staff; cultivating and managing vendors and volunteers; overseeing marketing and communications, data management, and finance and regulatory compliance; and overseeing events.
The area of responsibility for this role is very wide and thus requires the ability and eagerness to learn quickly and manage various company processes. The ideal candidate must be competent and able to manage many kinds of operational activities and priorities. The candidate must be an excellent leader who can discover the most efficient ways to run the business and drive the organization’s success.
The Director of Operations will join a core team of four, including a full-time Marketing and Program Coordinator and Special Events Manager and two co-founders. In this role, the Director will report to the foundation’s co-founders. The role is based at the office located in Bala Cynwyd, PA.
Emily’s Entourage is an innovative 501(c)3 that fast tracks research for new treatments and a cure for rare nonsense mutations of Cystic Fibrosis. Founded by Emily Kramer-Golinkoff with family and friends, Emily’s Entourage is fueled by powerful communities, small and large, in person and virtual, that have rallied together, raising nearly $6 million since 2011 to drive high-impact research and groundbreaking collaboration.
While the urgency of the foundation is inspired by Emily’s advanced stage disease, the work of Emily’s Entourage gives impetus to advances that can benefit not only patients with Cystic Fibrosis, but approximately 12% of all patients with genetic diseases that are similarly caused by nonsense mutations, amounting to roughly 30 million people worldwide.
Named a White House “Champion of Change” for Precision Medicine, Emily’s Entourage has been featured in the New York TImes, STAT, TheSkimm, CNN.com, Time.com, People.com, AOL.com, CBS’s The Doctors, Yahoo Health and many other national and local media outlets for its disruptive approach to accelerating breakthroughs and Emily’s inspiring story.
This list of responsibilities is comprehensive and broad. The expectation is that the Director of Operations will work with the co-founders and staff to prioritize primary duties first and, with time, add on secondary duties.
Operations, Logistics, and Administration:
- Ensure administrative tasks are done in an effective and efficient manner through daily/regular oversight of mid-level staff and improvement of internal systems
- Manage all programs to maintain quality, budget, and timeline adherence
- Strategize, support, and oversee the Special Events Manager in the planning and coordination of special events and conferences
- Review and manage all contracts, legal documents, and agreements in conjunction with co-founders, the board of directors and strategic advisors, including lawyers
- Oversee technology platforms, including identification, management, and evaluation of vendors and platforms
- Manage contract Database Manager to ensure data integrity and analysis
- Help to manage and mitigate risk and maintain adequate insurance for the Foundation
Human Resources and Management:
- Hire, train, and manage entry- and mid-level staff members to ensure daily smooth operation of the administrative offices and progress of the organization with attention to goal-setting, productivity, and achievement
- Help to recruit, train, oversee, and steward volunteers
- Administer and oversee employee benefits
- Ensure proper office space utilization, including technology and equipment
External Relationship Development:
- Develop and oversee relationships with vendors, independent contractors, and service providers
- Promote a positive relationship with all donors and board members and support meetings with materials, preparation, and follow through
- Work with co-founders and staff to develop, manage, and evaluate fundraising initiatives
- Manage protocols and processes to enable staff, the Cystic Fibrosis community, and strategic advisors to play a fundraising role
- Oversee Marketing and Program Coordinator and marketing and communications functions, including internal and external communication, mailing list management, PR, and social media advertising and content
- Ensure consistent and effective branding (visual and content) across all channels that advances the foundation’s mission
Financial Management and Regulatory Compliance:
- Assist co-founders, advisors, and board members with fine-tuning and overseeing the organization’s bookkeeping, accounting functions, and finances
- Prepare, review, and analyze financial reports with support from CPA and co-founders
- Assist in on-time completion of the annual audit and IRS Form 990 return
- Develop and implement policies and regulatory compliance related to governance, accounting, HR, and other operational matters
- Support and advise the co-founders and leadership in decision-making, keeping them apprised of all critical operational issues
- Work with the co-founders and leadership to create and update a long-term strategic plan ensuring all programs are being executed as planned with specific focus on quality, budget adherence, and time management
- Coordinate development of the annual work plan and budget and regularly track and evaluate performance against individual and organizational goals
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of professional experience in operations, office management, communications, marketing or a related field
- Must be versatile, passionate, capable of juggling many priorities at the same time, and able to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated leadership experience and ability to motivate, inspire, and organize
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Meticulously organized, detail- and deadline-oriented
- Must be tech proficient and committed to quality and style
- Passionate about advancing medical and scientific research
- Nonprofit experience is favorable but not mandatory
- Deep appreciation for complexities associated with chronic illness is required; knowledge about issues related to Cystic Fibrosis is a plus but not required
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized, and motivated
- Have significant experience in managing several projects at one time with the ability to anticipate, and plan for, the needs of the organization
- Entrepreneurial abilities to build an organization
- Ability to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, meet deadlines
- Work with initiative, competence, and have good judgment with an attitude of “leading with ‘yes’” and “whatever is necessary” to complete the job
- Team-oriented player able to communicate and work alongside organization leadership and staff, as well as board members, volunteers, and external community
Competitive salary offered and determined based on experience
Interested candidates should submit a one-page cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The cover letter should describe (a) previous relevant experience and (b) why the position is right at this stage in his/her career.
Emily’s Entourage provides equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.